Thursday 11 June 2015

Pregabalin Update

I've been taking pregabalin (Lyrica) 150mg twice a day for about six weeks now and, if I'm honest, I can feel no benefit with it. The pain in my right hip is still as bad as ever and my lower back pain is still like a toothache - constant throbbing and sharp stabbing pains when I move a certain way or bend to pick something up.

I called my GP today for advice and he suggested I take two 150mg doses twice a day - what he seems to forget is that the last time I was on the higher dose I got horrendous dizziness - no good for me in my everyday life or my work life. I told him this and he replied by saying 'Well, if you're not prepared to try again there's very few options left open for you.'

I feel like a guinea pig for the drug companies as it is. However, to make my point I'm going to try to take 600mg per day again - just for one month to see if a) It works on my pain and b) I get the dizziness again (which I'm almost certain to as I get it mildy on my current dose of 300mg per day)

I have so many suggestions for treatment that the doctor could try and, if I have to make another trip to see him about my medication reactions, I'm going to take the list with me. I know a few adversely interact with other meds I'm taking, but there are others that he could try - if he can get over the shock of the cost to the NHS!!

(Another side effect of pregabalin is weight gain - but that doesn't phase me as I've been underweight for years - it's the dizziness that gets me most.)

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.

Please also visit the rest of my site at http://www.myfibro.co.uk

Thank you.