Saturday 13 June 2015

TENS Machine - Update

The 'Knight in Shining Plastic' I described recently (Back Pain - Sudden Worsening) - the one that arrived just as my back pain became unbearable after it seized up - has been working brilliantly. I've tried just about every mode, and program within each mode, and found the one(s) which help the most.

The unit works by stimulating nerves and muscles via a small electrical impulse. When on the sensation feels like mild 'pins and needles', a tingling or prickling feeling and, if turned up high enough it sometimes makes the muscles twitch. 

So far I've used it two or three times a day on my lower to mid back and, I have to say, it's an amazing piece of kit. I attach the electrodes to the points of my pain (in my case anywhere on my back will do) switch on and away I go. The relief is more or less instant as my pain gives way to the mild tingling and pulsing of the machine - I can increase the intensity of the stimulation with a press of a button depending on how bad my back is, and I tend to gradually reduce this over the course of an hour until I switch off the unit. Then comes the second of only two downsides to the machine - the pain returns within a few minutes of switching it off. (The first 'downside' is the icy coldness of the self adhesive electrode pads that you have to stick on your lower back!!)

But I can live with that. 

A couple, or even three hours a day with no pain is such an improvement on twelve years of 24 hour a day pain. The unit is portable so I can take it with me on trips out to finally 'enjoy' (?) a full shopping trip with my family, as opposed to grumbling and moaning to them after ten minutes of pushing the trolley! (Though I reserve the right to grumble and moan about shopping even if pain free!!)

I've also tried the unit on my hip pain with equally positive results - when on full blast I can walk upright, with no limping. I even managed to do a little 'Dad dance' around my living room with my Daughter. For the first time in years I felt like a normal father.

I know that it's early days, but based on the results so far my investment of fifty quid has been well worth it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.

Please also visit the rest of my site at http://www.myfibro.co.uk

Thank you.