Tuesday 9 June 2015

Back Pain - Sudden Worsening

Last night I laid on my front on the rug in front of the fire watching TV, in an attempt to soothe my aching back, which has been plaguing me for many many months. I laid propped up on my elbows for about five minutes. My lower back pain did not diminish so I attempted to sit up and back into my armchair. I only just made it to the chair before the most excruciating pain hit my lower back. So intense was the pain that I could not move, in any direction, for what seemed like an eternity. It was as though my entire lower back had seized, or gone into spasm.

I have to admit that I panicked a lot. For a good hour it took all of my strength to move. I managed to stand, but walking was incredibly painful and bending was simply impossible, no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get any movement without horrendous pain. My wife suggested a trip to A&E, but I hate going there so I struggled on through the night. It eased quite a lot when I went to bed, but it (and my usual nighttime nemesis - hip pain) woke me around 3am.

This morning the pain was still intense but I'd got some movement back and I managed to take my Daughter to school, albeit in relative discomfort. On my return home Mr Postman had delivered a package from Amazon - my digital TENS machine. It could not have come at a better time!

I quickly unpacked it and set it up to give my lower back a good session. The relief was almost instant.

I'd used a TENS machine a while back, but I wasn't anywhere near as bad with my back then, and it didn't seem to have much effect. But, after reading several reviews I decided to give it another go. It's early days, but I'm very impressed how it sorted out my spasming back.

I'll let you know how I get on over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.

Please also visit the rest of my site at http://www.myfibro.co.uk

Thank you.