Sunday 16 August 2015

Unexpected Support

These days getting anything for nothing is an impossible task. This is especially true of hard-pressed local authorities under a Tory Government. 

So I was genuinely shocked to hear that, after my Blue Badge assessment, I had been referred to local social services for 'additional support' to enable me to stay in my own home. (This was especially shocking given the fact that my family and I have never had any intention of leaving it!!) But apparently, the occupational health assessor had decided that my level of disability warranted an intervention by the Staying Put Scheme - set up to support home owners and council tenants remain in their homes for as long as possible rather than enter sheltered housing or care homes.

So, even though I own my home, I'm eligible to access support to make living with this dreadful condition a little easier, and never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I have.

The lady who visited me was another occupational therapist who observed me doing the everyday things I would do in my home - climbing the stairs, sitting and rising from chairs, getting in and out of bed, getting in and out of the bath / shower, using the toilet (not actually using it!!), preparing meals. She asked me about my comfort levels during each activity and, as I seem to be in a never ending flare at present, I answered as honestly as I could.

The trouble is, I can do all of the things she asked me to do in the fashion I've become accustomed to doing them - I can get in and out of my chair - with some pain, I can get up and down the stairs - with some pain, I can get on and off the toilet - with some pain, I can get in and out of the bath - with some pain etc. I didn't tell her I was in pain each time I did the activity requested but, somehow, she knew. She could see my pain. I wasn't wincing, or groaning at every activity (or, at least I don't think I was) but she identified the areas I have most difficulty with merely by observing me do them!

Two days later I got a visit from the local authority Handy-Man Scheme who installed a bannister to enable me to climb the stairs easier and a week after that the occupational therapist returned with a bath 'balloon' that inflates so I can sit and be lowered into the bath, then raised back up to get out - it's an amazing piece of kit and has made life so much easier
.
I no longer have to ask my wife to help me out, or clamour over the edge of the bath to the floor when I can't lift my legs.

I'm incredibly grateful for these things. Having struggled along for so long it's nice to be able to get a bath without the gymnastics - I used to have to get in backwards on my good leg, sit down with my bad leg over the edge of the bath and then 'man-handle' it in to the water! Now I just sit on the seat cushion, deflate it, get bathed, re-inflate it and get out - it's fantastic!.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.

Please also visit the rest of my site at http://www.myfibro.co.uk

Thank you.