Saturday 9 May 2015

Didn't We Have A Lovely Time The Day We Went To......

York. Beautiful place - steeped in history and olde-world charm and only forty five minutes by train from home. It was gloriously sunny when we got there. We'd promised E we'd take her again this year and had planned it for early May to avoid school holidays and Summer tourists (the beauty of homeschooling!)

I've been flaring recently and hadn't felt brilliant for a good few days prior to the trip, but I struggled on and somehow managed to get there for 10.30am. I went armed with my walking stick and a bag full of everything I might possibly need for the day (mainly pills - cocodamol, Lyrica and loperamide!)

Picture
York Minster - South Trancept
PicturePetergate, York
We did the usual stuff - visit to the Minster being top of E's list (next to shopping, shopping and more shopping!) where she asked if we could go up the "tower" (That's the square tower on the left of the picture - it has a central spiral-diminishing tread staircase which has worn over the hundred's of years since it was built - and by 'diminishing' I mean that it narrows from two man widths on the bottom tread to less than a child's width towards the top  and you meet people coming down whilst you're going up - I forget how many steps there are but it's a lot. Fifteen years ago I'd done the tower with ease and reached the top to see spectacular views across the beautiful Yorkshire countryside. Yesterday the prospect filled me with abject terror - I had a little panic attack at the thought. I joked to E that it would probably wipe me out after three steps and swiftly moved on to the next attraction. But I really think she'd love to go up there with me. She seemed a bit disappointed but she accepted that it was probably beyond her old Dad's capabilities at present (or ever again if truth be told.)

So, we trundled through the day - me clicking around the cobbled streets with my walking stick - taking frequent rests, and a good day was had by all.......until the rain started and the temperature dropped and my hip pain really kicked in and my reynaud's sent the blood away from my fingers, and today I feel like I'm as old as the Minster itself.

Picture
The Shambles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.

Please also visit the rest of my site at http://www.myfibro.co.uk

Thank you.