Saturday 5 December 2015

Why So SAD?

We are all affected by the weather. Everyone has experienced the joy of a warm summer's day or the rush to safety from a storm. The seasons affect our moods and our general attitude to life. Summer warmth relaxes us and helps to soothe pains. The winter chills us to the core and makes life more challenging - keeping warm, finding shelter, sourcing food (perhaps not these days, but our ancestors suffered!) Spring gives us hope and Autumn eases us into the harshness of winter once more.

As a chronic pain sufferer I know only too well the effect of the weather on my symptoms but as for my mindset - well I'm discovering this now.

Those who read my recent post on FibroBlog (Fibromyalgia & Depression) will know that I'm currently fighting a major depression. I don't know if it was brought on by me reaching my half-century in October or if it was because I've lived with fibromyalgia for so, so long, I just know that it's hit me really hard - and it hit me just as the nights began to draw in and the weather turned colder. And that is unusual for me. It's a change to my usual approach to the winter - I have always loved the cold, dark winter nights. Listening to the wind, watching the snow fall, seeing people scurrying for shelter - all from the comfort of my living room, with my family, a roaring fire and a nice hot cup of cocoa (the romantic in me!)

But this year I'm dreading it - quite literally - the prospect of another three months of dark nights, bad weather and yes, even the cosy nights in, has got me all miserable and moody, Battling my way to work three days a week on icy or snowy roads has never been a favourite pastime, but this year I am considering calling in sick for the whole winter. I want to hibernate, shut myself away in a dark room and not come out again until the spring has firmly sprung. It's depression, right? Well, possibly.

Or, it might be SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) a condition I've heard of but never really understood. SADA - The Seasonal Affective Disorder Association says that "for about 21% of the UK population, some of the symptoms of SAD cause discomfort and a noticeable change in mood, but not serious suffering. This is called "Sub-syndromal SAD" or "Winter Blues". For a further 8%, SAD is a much more serious illness which prevents normal function without appropriate treatment. SAD is a complex illness with a wide range of symptoms."

I know a lot of my readers are 'overseas' visitors but I'd love to hear from anyone who has experienced either "Winter Blues" or the more debilitating symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder, and how it might impact someone who also suffers with a chronic pain condition like fibromyalgia. I know I cannot be diagnosed as SAD as a person needs to experience at least three consecutive years of the symptoms I'm currently exhibiting, but I wonder how the advent of spring will affect my mood. Obviously I'm hoping I'll be over this current bout of depression well before then - but if I'm not it will be interesting to see if I'm hopping around the fields with the hares come March 2016!


(This post was originally shared on My Fibro Blog )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.

Please also visit the rest of my site at http://www.myfibro.co.uk

Thank you.