Monday 16 March 2015

I can stand the pain - it's the gut turbulence that affects me most!

Of all the many symptoms of fibromyalgia I find the upset bowels and digestion problems the most debilitating.

I have pain constantly and, over the years, I've learned to live with or manage it in my own way, but the crohn's disease I find the most frustrating and soul destroying symptom of my auto-immune system failings.

The fact that it can turn itself on and off in the blink of an eye - so I go from normal, healthy, quiet gut at 9am to full blown diarrhoea and painful flatulence at 9.45am then back again by 6pm, or not, depending on how long it wants me to suffer.

There's no predicting it. There's no eating or avoiding certain foods (in my experience) There's no rhyme or reason to it. It just starts, last a few hours or a few days, then stops and comes back a few days later or a few weeks later or, if I'm exceptionally unlucky, a few hours later! It can take the form of painful bloating and acid reflux, or painful bloating, acid reflux, nausea, diarrhoea, stomach and arse cramping, excessive wind, ultra-urgent diarrhoea or constipation, or a combination of all of these!

It's the unpredictability of crohn's that upsets me the most. I can predict when and how my pain is going to affect me - because it's there all the time and I "just get on with it." 

But the crohn's is 'quite literally' a pain in the arse in its unpredictability. Of all my conditions it's the one that makes me the most anxious, the one that gets me wound up to the point of raving maniac and the one that controls how my life is lived because at the slightest hint of a flare I batten down the hatches and all other activities stop and, as a result, it's the one that affects my family the most too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.

Please also visit the rest of my site at http://www.myfibro.co.uk

Thank you.