Wednesday 11 March 2015

Crohn's Flare or Medication Switch?

I mentioned a while back in this blog that I was on Pregabalin (300mg twice daily) - well, I started to get an unwanted side-effect: extreme dizziness, which was making working and even standing up unpleasant and/or uncomfortable so three days ago my doctor switched me onto Gabapentin (100mg three times daily) and as soon as I started taking them I started to get the symptoms of a flare up of my Crohn's Disease. Horrendous stomach cramps, diarrhoea and nausea, and last night I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital because of them. 

I'd managed to get through the day in relative discomfort and in the evening had (just about) managed to get through my shift at work - though I was clearly under-par, I got home at 11.30pm and went to bed but couldn't sleep because of the pains inside. At 3am I was on the toilet trying desperately not to pass out. The pain in my gut was unlike anything I'd had before. I was considering calling an ambulance when it dawned on me - could it be the new tablets?

I don't usually read info leaflets in tablets and in any case there hadn't been one with these new ones, but the pains were so bad I had to know if there was a link so I searched "side effects of Gabapentin" This is what I found:


Common: More than 1 in 100 people who take Gabapentin

  • abnormal gait
  • abnormal laboratory test results
  • abrasion
  • accidental injury more likely
  • acne
  • back pain
  • blood and bone marrow problems
  • breathing difficulties
  • bronchitis in children
  • changes in appetite
  • confusion
  • constipation
  • convulsions in children
  • coordination problems
  • cough
  • depression
  • diarrhoea
  • difficulty sleeping
  • double vision
  • dry mouth or throat
  • eye or eyesight problems
  • feeling anxious
  • feeling nervous
  • feelings of hostility
  • flatulence
  • flu or flu-like symptoms
  • fractures
  • general feeling of being unwell
  • headaches
  • hyperactivity or aggressive behaviour in children
  • impotence
  • indigestion
  • infection of the ear in children
  • inflammation of the gums
  • itching
  • joint pain
  • memory problems
  • mood changes
  • muscle twitching
  • muscle pain or tenderness
  • nausea
  • oedema of the extremities
  • pain
  • pharyngitis
  • raised blood pressure
  • reflex problems
  • respiratory tract infection in children
  • rhinitis
  • sensation changes such as paraesthesia and hypaesthesia
  • skin rash or rashes
  • speech problems
  • stomach pain
  • swelling of the face
  • tooth problems
  • tremors
  • unexplained or unexpected bruising
  • unusual thoughts
  • vasodilatation
  • vertigo
  • vomiting
  • weakness
  • weight gain
(I've highlighted every side effect I experienced during the last 48 hours)

The stomach pains, flatulence and diarrhoea still haven't subsided and I've vowed to myself to never take another Gabapentin. So it looks like another consultation with the quack when I can drag myself away from the toilet! Looks like I'm going to have to manage with just cocodamol for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.

Please also visit the rest of my site at http://www.myfibro.co.uk

Thank you.